TREY’s Board has approved equality project goals for organisations that have an invitation-based membership system in today’s meeting 23/2019.
The main points are:
- During the two-year transition period, organisations create their own equality plans describing how they will achieve the following goals:
- gender is not a criterion for membership
- there must be some criteria for membership
- the members are chosen in a manner that follows the Section 8 of the Non-discrimination Act (1325/2014)
- interest in membership can be expressed and reasons for denial will be given if asked by the individual
- The Student Union will organise workshops or other training and support if needed and encourage individual solutions for reaching the abovementioned goals
Non-discrimination Act Section 8
Prohibition of discrimination
(1) No one may be discriminated against on the basis of age, origin, nationality, language, religion, belief, opinion, political activity, trade union activity, family relationships, state of health, disability, sexual orientation or other personal characteristics. Discrimination is prohibited, regardless of whether it is based on a fact or assumption concerning the person him/herself or another. (2) In addition to direct and indirect discrimination, harassment, denial of reasonable accommodation as well as an instruction or order to discriminate constitute discrimination as referred to in this Act.