Student representatives can be found both in the administration and in other bodies. In general, the duties of student representatives are to disclose the opinions of students and represent the students in different events. The nomination and the activities of the student representatives have been decided by the student union’s Council of Representatives, as decided on the Standing Order on Electing Student Representatives.
The student representatives are sometimes also called hallopeds. They operate as student representatives in the bodies of our university’s administration. Student representatives operate as independent full members of the body and represent all students of the whole university, of a faculty or alternatively of a degree programme. Any student union member enrolled as present can apply to be a student representative with the open application.
The student union nominates student representatives to the Academic Board, the Education Council and Faculty Councils, among others. In addition to this, guilds, associations and faculty associations nominate student representatives in many working groups on the faculty level. The student representative body’s work is very important because it ensures that the points of views and voices of students can be seen and heard in the development of education and of the university.
You don’t have to be a veteran of student politics or an expert at meetings to become a student representative. If you are interested in promoting and supervising the interests of all students while you are studying, you were born to be a student representative. Through the position of a student representative, you can be a part of the wondrous world of student advocacy!
The lists of the current student representatives according to the bodies can be found on its subpage in TREYs website.
More information about the student representative body’s activity: Tiia Virtanen, Academic Affairs Specialist. Her contact information can be found on TREYs contact information page.
The student union representatives
The student union is connected with different associations, foundations and communities. Depending on the place, the student union’s student representative is nominated by either the council or the board.
Tampere Student Housing Foundation (TOAS)
Tampere Student Housing Foundation rents, builds and maintains student housing in Tampere. TREY has a representative in the board and in the delegation and the construction committee of TOAS. TREY’s representatives in the board are Ilona Taubert and deputy member Laura Kaipia.
- Laura Heino, deputy member Onni Härkönen
- Arttu Timonen, deputy member Julia Malvikko
- Eetu Niemi, deputy member Aaro Haikonen
- Jasmin Koivuviita, deputy member Mimi Korjus
- Mea Vähä–Jaakkola, deputy member Waltteri Nummelin
- Alli Vepsä, deputy member Jemina Raukamo
- Emma Sjöholm, deputy member Noora Hakulinen
- Helena Ukkola, deputy member Lauri Tuimala
- Rudolf Võrk, deputy member Aapo Johansson
- Mikko Jaskari, deputy member EJ Lampén
- Aino Halinen, deputy member Lauri Ahlqvist
- Markus Salonen, deputy member Saskia Simisker
Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS)
The Finnish Student Health Service (FSHS, in Finnish YTHS) is in charge of healthcare during your university studies in Tampere. FSHS has offices in Hervanta and the city centre. TREY has representatives in FSHS’s delegation and in the Tampere-Hämeenlinna health service unit’s board of directors. The representative in Tampere-Hämeenlinna health service unit’s board of directors is Laura Kaipia. More information can be found on FSHS’s website.
Tampereen ylioppilastalosäätiö operates in favour of students and its main activity was administering the student union’s building. Board members 2023:
- Salla-Mari Palokari (deputy member Ville Jäppinen)
- Esko Nieminen (deputy member Onni Härkönen)
- Lauri Sahramaa (deputy member Kaisa Vornanen)
- Petra Oksa (deputy member Joonas Yli-Huhtala)
- Hanna Vähävuori (deputy member Mirva Pekkola)
- Tuomas Kauppinen (deputy member Aatu Korhonen)
- Lassi Halminen (deputy member Paavo Keski-Orvola)
- Iiris Taubert (deputy member Artturi Lindeman)
- Lassi Vuotari (deputy member Nina Kovanen)
Academic Engineers and Architects in Finland (TEK)
TEK’s council, board and committees have over 50 student representatives, some of whom are technical students from Tampere. The representatives for TEK youth committee and council are chosen by Tampereen teekkarit ry. Other representatives are chosen by the student group of TEK council. You can find more about TEK’s decision-making bodies and member communities from TEK webpage.
- Board: Julius Haapakoski and Tiina Mikkonen (not as a student representative)
- Council: Kaisa Vornanen and deputy member Roosa Mäkitalo
- Youth committee: Teemu Kontro, Vili Sipilä, Hilla Mäkinen, deputy member Axel Nyman
- Membership and organisational committee: Nina Kovanen, deputy member Axel Nyman
- Educational committee: Lassi Vuotari (debuty member), Veera Hursti (debuty member)
- Technology committee: Maria Kukkula, debuty member Janne Nousiainen
- Career committee: Mika Pajala (debuty member)
- Entrepreneurship committee: Onni Päivinen (debuty member)
- Labour market committees: Juho Hämäläinen (municipal committee), Kaisa Kjellman (deputy member, Private sector committee)
- Akava student’s general council: Eetu Hartikainen
Ryhmä 35 000
Tampere has about 35,000 university students who make up about the sixth of the whole city’s residents. TREY and Students’ Union of Tampere University of Applied Sciences (Tamko) representatives work in cooperation in the group doing urban advocacy called Ryhmä 35 000 (translated Group 35 000). TREY’s representatives are the chair and sector representatives of socials affairs and communications.
Opiskelijan Tampere ry
Opiskelijan Tampere ry is a cooperation project started by the Tampere student bodies and student unions, as well as Tampere Chamber of Commerce and Industry. The organisation’s most significant service is its student benefits, which can be found from the Opiskelijan Tampere website. TREY’s representatives in the Opiskelijan Tampere board are Adam Zeidan and Ilona Taubert.