To enjoy the benefits and discounts associated with the student status, you need a student card with an up-to-date annual registration sticker. Student union members can order a student card for the price of 10 euros. The student card also works as a library card in the University library where it can be activated. In addition the card provides an access to university facilities, including electronic exam rooms. By showing the card you can get travel discounts for long-distance trains (VR) and buses (Matkahuolto), student-friendly priced lunches and many other benefits and discounts. You can also recharge student-friendly priced restaurant meals in Juvenes. SYL, The National Union of University Students in Finland, has negotiated several benefits and discounts for students. Moreover, Opiskelijan Tampere has made up local deals for students in Tampere.
You can activate admittance on city center campuses when you pick up the card. The card will serve as a key to the micro classes and libraries of the university. When picking up your card from the Hervanta campus, you have to go activate the admittance on an info desk at the campus.
Please read the instructions carefully before ordering the card!
- you need to register with the university and pay the student union membership fee. After you have paid the membership fee, please wait a couple of days before you order the card because the transaction takes some time.
- you have to activate your personal TUNI User ID.
- you have either a credit card or a possibility to use online banking. The card costs 10 euros.
- you have an appropriate photo of yourself. Make sure the photo is a face photo resembling a passport photo: well-lit and clear, preferably with a light and neutral background. If you don’t have such a photo, you can take one with your phone.
Please be aware that…
- if you have ordered the card with a photo that does not meet the criteria, you will have to order a new card that meets the criteria. The payment will not be refunded.
- your student card serves as an access to the university facilities on the campus where you have the right to study. If you study at both campuses, you may request an additional card from the university.
- if you have chosen for the card to be delivered to the Pori unit, it can be collected from the Pointer ry’s office.
- if the card is not collected within 2 years, the card will become the student union’s property and it will be destroyed.
When you have ordered the card…
- the order will go directly to the card manufacturer. The estimated manufacturing time is 1-2 weeks.
- When collecting your card, you must have a valid photo identification (passport, driver’s license or an official ID card).
- The student card can be collected from TREY service points in central or Hervanta campus depending on where you study. Please check the working hours from here.
- If you lose your student card that also functions as a key card, you must notify the University’s IT Helpdesk immediately. If your card is an old card without a chip (i.e. a card that does not function as a key card) you do not need to notify the IT Helpdesk.
You can order your card here.
Students who have paid the annual membership fee and enrolled as present, can get an annual registration sticker that makes the student card valid It takes a few days for your payment to register to the system, after which the sticker can be collected. If you have ordered a new card, the registration sticker will be attached to the card upon collection.
The mobile student card is a service provided by Pivo. You can get the student card directly to your phone! It is a handy addition to your traditional plastic card. You can use the mobile student card even if you have forgotten or lost your plastic one. The mobile student card works on the Pivo-app in Android and iOS devices.
Postgraduate (Doctoral) students who have joined the Student Union can order the student card for the price of 10 euros, which, combined with the annual registration sticker, verifies their membership status. Unfortunately, the postgraduate student card does not entitle you to travel discounts (VR and Matkahuolto) or Kela’s student meal discounts. However, most of the student benefits listed on our page are available also with the postgraduate student card. The card also works as a library card in the University library where it can be activated.
Postgraduate students have access to TuniSport’s services for the same price as basic degree students. The green student card does not have a microchip and therefore does not act as an access card. A separate access card can be collected at the IT Services Office or from Atalpa’s reception.
This privacy notice has been done in accordance with the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Done on 02/01/2019.
Student Union of Tampere University (TREY)
Rakennustalo L-siipi, 3. floor
Korkeakoulunkatu 5, 33720 Tampere
- Contact person for the register
Secretary General of Student Union of Tampere University
- Name of the register
Tampereen ylioppilaskunnan opiskelijakorttien tilausrekisteri / Register of student cards of Student Union of the University of Tampere.
- Legal basis and purpose of processing personal data
The General Data Protection Regulation of the European Union (article 6) provides a legal basis for the processing of personal data. The register of student cards of Student Union of the University of Tampere is based on the data subject’s explicit and documented consent. Personal data is processed in order to provide a student card service for the members of TREY.
The data is only used for the purpose defined in this privacy notice. If personal data is used for purposes other than those initially described, the data subject must be notified and, where necessary, consent needs to be obtained from the data subject.
- Content of the register
The following information will be recorded in the register:
- date of birth
- student number
- card type (graduate student or doctoral student)
TREY will store this data for a period it considers necessary. The data subject has the right to request the removal of personal data from the register (paragraph 10).
- Sources of data
The data stored in the register is obtained from the person themselves when ordering a student card.
- Regular disclosure of data to third parties
TREY will not regularly sell, rent, lease or disclose personal data to third parties. TREY will only disclose data to third parties in the following cases:
- Personal data can be disclosed for statistical, scientific or historical research provided that the data is edited so that the data subject can no longer be identified.
- Regular disclosure of data and data transfer outside of EU or EEA
Personal data will not be regularly transferred outside of the EU or the EEA.
- Principles of register protection
The register is protected by a password in TREY’s electronic system. Only TREY’s employees and, if necessary, the Executive Board have the necessary usernames, passwords and rights to access the system. The personal data is only processed by TREY’s employees for the purpose described in paragraph 4. The electronic system is located in TREY’s office where access to the register by outsiders is prevented by restrictions such as locked doors.
- Data subject’s rights
The data subject has the following rights as regards the processing of their personal data. In order to exercise these rights, the data subject should send a request to TREY (firstname.lastname@example.org). As the controller, TREY has the right to request a confirmation of identity. The controller will reply to the data subject within the time period laid down in the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (generally within one month).
Right to verify and demand the rectification of data
Each data subject has the right to verify their data stored in the register and to demand the rectification of possibly inaccurate information or to have incomplete data completed.
Right to object
The data subject has the right to object to the processing of their personal data if they feel that the data is not processed lawfully or that TREY does not have the right to process it.
Right to erasure
The data subject has the right to request the erasure of the personal data concerning them from the register (the right to be forgotten).
Right to restrict the processing of personal data
The data subject has the right to request the restriction of processing their personal data.
Right to lodge a complaint
The data subject has the right to lodge a complaint with the European Data Protection Supervisor if the data subject feels that TREY has not processed their personal data in an appropriate manner.